Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Would you send books to a member with these requestor conditions?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Would you send books to a member with these requestor conditions?
Date Posted: 5/5/2024 8:45 PM ET

I just got a large number of requests from one member. The thing that have a very long bunch of requestor conditions. Here are the rcs:

I am not willing to accept books that have strong perfume smells, moldy smells, or strong smoke smells from cigarettes (fireplaces are fine) as I have asthma.  Before you decline, please pm me (member id is )to double check as there are some things that I can handle.    Also, I would appreciate it if you would please wrap my books to protect them from the elements as my mailman doesn't always get them completely in the mailbox. 

My question is would you accept these conditions or be wary of sending. Like I said this member wants a large number of books 20 + so I am a little nervous about sending that many and the possibly getting dinged because of the rcs. Any  comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/5/2024 10:17 PM ET

If my books met those conditions, and I would wrap them as requested,  I would send them.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 5/5/2024 10:51 PM ET

Me too. I have the smoking, musty smell RC also.  But if your 'smeller' isn't reliable concerning scents, ask someone else in household to also do a smell test. 

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/6/2024 7:43 AM ET

I would probably send a book or 2, maybe 3, but I'd be reluctant to send as many as 20.

Last Edited on: 5/6/24 7:44 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/6/2024 4:14 PM ET

I wouldn't accept a RC that asked me to PM the member before declining.  Outside of that, if I did decide to accept, I'd use printed postage wtih instant credit. 

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 5/10/2024 1:40 PM ET

I don't like requester conditions that are subjective. I like the ones that are specific... For example the ones that say I am unwilling to accept books that are in a current smokers home.

This type of thing can easily be a case where the sender doesn't smell anything yet the person receiving it can say it had a moldy odor or something.

I wouldn't send it and my comment would be, I don't really have a good sense of smell, so I'm not sure so rather than send you books that might affect you, I would rather not do so.