Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: May 2024 Health & Fitness Support & Chat Forum

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2024 8:02 AM ET

Well, I'm 251 today so the lasagna didn't bother me yesterday like I expected it to do. I just never know what's going to raise the numbers and what won't. My body has a mind of it's own.

How's everyone else doing?

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2024 9:00 AM ET

I'm 248.8 today which makes me happy. Out of the 250's again.

Yesterday was kind of stressful for me, but it ended well. I had canceled my cable a few days ago and my son, that lives 500 miles away, decided I had to have my TV working even if I didn't have cable. He works as a supervisor at one of the big internet/cable companies and he went thru my services and was able to get a number of promotions for me which cut down the price of my internet & phone, and basically gives me the basic TV channels plus xumo for free. He ordered the equipment needed and it came yesterday morning and by my cellphone he talked me thru installing everything. Took over 5 hours. But worth it.  And under this new plan  where I was paying $190.00 a month for cable, internet, & landline phone, now I'm saving $96.00 a month, plus I have faster internet and with xumo I can watch all kinds of shows besides the basic TV channels. This makes me really happy but it was stressful yesterday trying to follow his instructions by phone. And we were messaging, not actually speaking to each other, so that brought on the stressful headache. But we got it done.

Last Edited on: 5/19/24 9:05 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
icantswim avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2024 9:42 AM ET

Hi everyone,

I'm so happy to hear about the savings on your Internet and cable bill, Vicki. Good job hooking everything up. That would give me a headache too - but you got it done! 

Sounds, too, like your body was happy to have the lasagna smiley

It's been a while since I've checked in here. I'm still going strong. I'm still dropping weight,  but what I've been noticing even more these last two weeks are changes to my appearance. My body shape is changing for the better. I think I'm in a new phase where I'm not just losing weight, but now my body is also working to physically adjust to the weight loss. I'm down 13 lbs since January and down 10 lbs since I started using Healthi.

But, the thing I'm most excited about is that I've gone down a pants size. I have a trip coming up so I went shopping this past Tuesday. I wasn't sure what size to get, so I was trying on my current size and trying on one size smaller. I ended up buying almost all in the smaller size. There was one pair of jeans that did work better in my current size, but four other pairs of pants/jeans I bought in the smaller size. So, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and keep working on one goal at a time. I'm still working on my current goal of losing 15lbs since January, but getting closer, so I'll just chug along...

Last Edited on: 5/18/24 10:12 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2024 4:05 PM ET

You're doing great Heather. Keep up the good work. It sounds like you've found something that is working for you. Isn't it nice too when the clothing sizes start going smaller!

Last Edited on: 5/19/24 9:08 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2024 9:06 AM ET

Happy Sunday everyone. I'm at the same weight as yesterday, but that's 3.6 lbs. lost for the week. Hoping to lose a couple more pounds this week.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2024 11:16 AM ET

I got my new push mower ready to go. I mowed a little this morning and if I don't see physical benefit from quadruple the exercise, I'll be shocked.  My stamina has not benefited from a riding mower but I can't help but wish it was working so I wouldn't have tp mow ALL of my huge lawn by push.  Much of the time the self propell feature goes way too fast. I think I know how to turn it down but better check the manual again or better yet YouTube.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2024 7:50 PM ET

Hope it helps, Teri. I used to love to cut the grass with a push mower. Here I don't have to deal with it. I do miss working out in the yard. I used to have all kinds of plants and flowers.

jacci-jerri avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2024 1:35 AM ET

Checking in...while I've enjoyed Healthi I decided to go ahead and look at weight watchers again.  My first weigh date is next wednesday and I'm excited to see if I've lost any weight.  Hope everyone has a great week!  :)

Last Edited on: 5/20/24 1:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
jacci-jerri avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2024 1:36 AM ET

Last Edited on: 5/20/24 1:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2024 7:42 AM ET

Good to hear from you Jacci. I hope you get a good weigh in on Wednesday. Weight Watchers is a very good program and has been around many, many years. I hope it works for you.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/22/2024 7:17 AM ET

I'm 250.2 this morning. Doing the normal yo-yo-ing. Hoping to see it back to under 250 by Sunday.

Today is the 3rd year anniversary of Bob's passing. Hard to believe it's been that long already. Miss him every day but I know he's in a better place.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 5/22/2024 11:40 AM ET

Its taking a long time to mow my lawn with a push mower but there are many factors. The grass is very tall, thick and wet. Lots of small hills but the self propel helps. Even so, I'm still taking many steps. And then there's stopping every other row to empty the bag and rest, drink.  So I walk for 2 minutes, rest for 5 minutes. Still it gets done because its gotta. I just quit for today. Its already 80 degrees, 70% humidity.  I can't mow tomorrow because its groomer day and more storms coming. If I get really rested I may finish the yard Friday.  There is one hill I won't do with the push, which is why I need to get the rider fixed.  Can't wait to weigh in tomorrow!  (And then I start all over again, if I want to keep up!)

Last Edited on: 5/22/24 11:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Wow
Date Posted: 5/22/2024 1:27 PM ET

Sounds like a big job with the bed, Teri!

And Vicki, what a job with the whole TV thing.

i was keeping up with the walking, and I even thought about raising the goal, but then yesterday I was in pain after dental procedures so I barely did anything. Now my weekly average is below my goal of 2500 steps a day, which sounds so tiny till you realize that the average for the year last year was 1600!

it's just taking longer than I want to get back my stamina.

Jacci, sometimes I think it is just better to change things up!

well, I was at 235.8 this morning. I started at 220 this year and the goal was 200. I need to change something! So this week I started the intermittent fasting again. So far I am not losing weight, but I do feel better, so we'll see!

Heather, I'm so happy for you that Healthi is working out and you are having positive results. I am considering it, but it seems time-consuming to me.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/23/2024 9:12 AM ET

Teri, I'm glad you're drinking plenty of water while out cutting the grass. Such good exercise too.

Margaret, I think even the 1600 steps daily beats me. Unless I go somewhere where I have a lot of walking to do, I probably only average about 1500 steps a day, if that much, and only that much because I walk to the mailbox and back and that's a 10 minute walk. In the apt. I go barefoot so don't have on the pedometer and when I'm outside, I forget to use it, so I'm only guessing on how many steps I get.

Yesterday I didn't eat a lot, but what I did eat had a lot of sodium in it, so the numbers are up this morning. Hopefully by Sunday it'll be better. I'm only posting the numbers on Sundays here on out, so I'm the only one that will see the yo-yo-ing I'm doing.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2024 4:36 PM ET

I made a withdrawal today againt future lawn mowing. I went grocery shopping, which usually leads to a splurge for supper, like tonite. I had roast beef, fresh bread roll and chocolate cake.  Fortunately, I have a lot more lawn to mow!

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/23/2024 8:14 PM ET

Sounds good Teri. I had egg & spam " muffins". Mix together and bake in muffin tin. High protein meal but a little too much sodium with the spam.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/25/2024 8:24 AM ET

Hope everyone enjoys the Memorial Day weekend. Anyone getting together with family for a cook-out? It'll be just me here, but that's ok. Enjoy the time with loved ones.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2024 11:55 AM ET

I'm taking advantage of the fine weathet and working in the yard. This time of year it is never ending. I just came inside yo take a break. I know Meggie would like her walk around the yard but I don't have the steam yet.  

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2024 10:28 AM ET

It's going to be 98 degrees here today and tomorrow so I'll be staying inside for the most part. The heat seems to zap what little strength I have if I'm out in it very long. I didn't have any plans to go anywhere anyway.

Today I'm at 249.4. So I'm up about a pound from last Sunday but during the week I had yo-yo'd back up into the 250's, so at least I'm back under that now. Hoping this week to do better overall and see a nice drop in the numbers next Sunday. All the food I have in the apt. now are single serve portions so that should help.

Hope everyone has a good week.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/27/2024 10:11 AM ET

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY everyone!!! Hope you have a wonderful day with friends and family.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Date Posted: 5/27/2024 10:25 AM ET

I will enjoy a quiet day at home with Meggie. I can't be enticed to venture out anywhere on a major holiday. So far today, I dug up my astilbe plants with the intention of relocating them. I raked where they were to prepare for flower seeds then I planted more sunflowers. It is forecasted to rain today.  After I rest, maybe I'll go back out and finish throwing zinnia and cosmos seeds in that bed, though I have lots of time to get them in the ground.

icantswim avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/28/2024 6:33 AM ET

Hi, friends,

I'm checking in today from lush, cloudy, and sometimes rainy Wales. We've been here all week for a literary festival. In addition to the festival, we enjoyed walking around the charming village of Hay on Wye, enjoyed high tea in Abergavenny, toured a vineyard, and tried a hike in Brecon (try being the key word because it was windy and rainy, so we only did about an hour of that). I've been trying to resist the cakes that go with the tea because everywhere is "tea and cakes." Everywhere!! Lol. Although we did eat a bite of every cake that came with our high tea and the scones with clotted cream and jam. 

Now we're heading back to England for some time in Windsor. We have plans to visit Stonehenge, tour Windsor castle, tour Highclere from Downton Abbey fame, and train in to London for an afternoon walking around the main sites.

My husband is doing the driving, which he has adapted to quite well, but sitting on the left side passenger seat took me some getting used to. The back roads are very narrow and we're sometimes literally in the hedges to let others pass. The village roads are all so curvy too. 

----

Hope you guys are enjoying these last days of May. 

Margaret, Healthi was time consuming a little bit for the first week or so, but then became easier and just part of my normal routine. I'm not using it on my trip, but I'm looking forward to getting back to it when we get home. :)

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/28/2024 7:58 AM ET

Teri, If you want some flower seeds, let me know and I'll send you some. I have more packets than I know what to do with.

Heather, I know you're having a blast on your trip. Enjoy yourselves. Can't wait to hear more about it.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/30/2024 4:57 AM ET

It's going to be a long 2 weeks. My car has another sensor light on and this one involves the anti brake system, so I can't ignore it. But can't do anything about it until I get my SS#, and then pray it's covered under the warranty (AGAIN). If it's covered I'll only have to pay the deductable, but if it's not covered, it could be over $400.00. That's money I don't have. It will mean using all my grocery money next month plus some if it's not covered. I really wish I had never bought the car, especially since I still have 4 years of payments left (72 month contract). But I did, so I have to deal with it. If I have to, I can just let the car sit for the time being and take a cab if I need to go to the store, or I can order on line and have groceries delivered if need be. But I hate to pay a car payment if I'm not being able to drive it. I'll find out in a couple weeks if I'm going to have to let it sit or not.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/1/2024 9:08 AM ET

Come join me in the June chat room. This room is closed

Page: