Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Pets/Animals

Topic: MY YORKIEPOO GOT A DEAD FIELD MOUSE TODAY

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: MY YORKIEPOO GOT A DEAD FIELD MOUSE TODAY
Date Posted: 8/3/2009 4:27 PM ET

my puppy got a dead rat I believe it was dead before he got it.but there was no sign of blood on it did not look good to see if there were teeth marks from puppy.should I be worried ?he has had all his shots .

Brandy

Goose5 avatar
Date Posted: 8/4/2009 5:56 PM ET

Rat or mouse?  The only thing I'd be worried about is if he sallowed a flea...causes tap worms.  Otherwise he's probably fine if he is otd on shots.  You could always just call your vet and ask to ease your mind as well.

ellzeena avatar
Subject: Dog caught rat
Date Posted: 12/3/2009 10:07 AM ET

Check for fleas.  Use a flea comb, dip it into warm water soapy with anti-bacterial soap as you comb through the dog's coat a little at a time.  Be sure to check under tail, in armpits, around mouth and eyes.  If you see fleas (which may have hopped off the dead rat), contact vet for information regarding topical treatment, vacuum your entire home (including all furniture) every other day for a month, wash all bedding, check your mattress and box spring and vacuum them twice weekly.  Be sure the dog is up to date on shots, especially lepto.

readermuse avatar
Date Posted: 12/9/2009 3:01 PM ET

You can have him wormed if you are worried. A lot of pups (depending on where they live) get wormed as pups because they put there mouths on EVERYTHING. :)

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/5/2010 3:02 PM ET

The other thing to worry about is whether or not the mouse or rat was poisoned.

Keep an eye on your dog for a day or 2 ... any symptons that might indicate this (vomiting, lethargy, blood in the stool, etc).