Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Foreign-Language/World Literature

Topic: Portuguese "Moby Dick"

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
muummom avatar
Peg D. (muummom) - ,
Limited Member medal
Subject: Portuguese "Moby Dick"
Date Posted: 9/6/2010 7:54 PM ET

This is a very bad copy of this book.  It looks like there may be mold on the bottom, and the book makes noise when  you curl it.  I started to throw it away when I realized it was written in a foreign language.  Maybe there is someone that is interested that doesn't  mind the condition!  The spine and binding are still book.  It's just the bottom edge and along the spine that are having problems.

I THINK the book is written in Portuguese.  It's a child's version of Moby Dick.  It starts off like this:  Meu nome e Ismael.  Ha alguns anos -- nao sei quantos exatamente -- acontecue que fiquei sem dinheiro ou, pelo menos, quase sem dinheiro.

I will gladly send this to anyone interested for free.  No credits needed!  Anyone interested?  Send me a PM.

jack-n-ivy-chinese avatar
Subject: Too bad the condition is rotten
Date Posted: 2/24/2011 3:55 PM ET

I actually have a collection of Melville books, incl. version for children.  But since it's in such poor condition, I don't really want to request the book -- ( so sad).